Sunday, September 06, 2015

Rock Climbing

Matt Hamilton pastor for http://www.themeetinghouse.com/

I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn't produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more.  You have already been pruned and purified by the message I have given you.

My friend took me rock climbing. I had to trust him to lower me safely.

We need to abide in the vine in beautiful intimacy. Some of us fixate on the danger of being pruned but the line is that if we abide he will abide.

Pruning will still happen. In order for the backyard tree to blossom the buds must be trimmed so the moisture can flow to the branches. What does pruning mean for us? We all need pruning. Relationships, habits, etc. Where are the people that speak into our lives?

We have a finite amount of energy. Am I connected with the vine? The Jimminie Cricket in us is part of pruning.

Make disciples but not in isolation. Partner together in community with each other and Christ. We are many branches. Get along with the others.

How to celebrate Thanksgiving together? A church family invited a food truck to park in their driveway and invited their care group and their neighbors out to it. 100 people showed up. In the spring 200 people came.

Relationships, relationships. Rose died this week. Her influence was quiet and powerful. A gentle soul that lived well and died well. What a gift. A neighbor was there and realized she learned. God's love. God doesn't hate me but loves me.

Pray for a rejuvenated sense that God will give us the fullness of life in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment