Sunday, July 09, 2017

Falcon Lake Church

Guest preacher. Pastor Brian is in Spain teaching. 
A deer longs for streams of water. God, I long for you in the same way.  I am thirsty for God. I am thirsty for the living God. When can I go and meet with him?  My tears have been my food day and night. All day long people say to me, "Where is your God?"  When I remember what has happened, I tell God all of my troubles. I remember how I used to walk along with the crowd of worshipers. I led them to the house of God. We shouted with joy and gave thanks as we went to the holy feast.  My spirit, why are you so sad? Why are you so upset deep down inside me? Put your hope in God. Once again I will have reason to praise him. He is my Savior and my God. 
Psalm 42:1‭-‬6 NIRV

This psalm was directed to be sung by a choir. It's a teaching psalm. V5 why am I depressed? Praise God my Savior and my God and I will feel better.
He was lonely unable to go to the temple. He was fleeing from his attackers and being mocked. 
He was looking for deeper intimacy with God to help him survive. 

Israel was in trouble. Do you sing the blues? Lose people we love? 
If life is a bowl of cherries why do I live in the pits? 
Have we trials and temptations?
  Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged,
  Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful
  Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness,
  Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Is that realistic? Giants of the faith have often been very depressed and discouraged. 

What steps to take when discouraged? Question emotions. We tend to question God. The Psalmist questions his own emotions. Not follow his feelings. Eject the discouraging tapes. Quit listening to yourself and talk to yourself. We tend to talk to ourselves all the time with words of discouragement. Stop it and put your hope in God. 
We tend to hope things will go well. Biblical hope is confident expectation. God is there. A command to put your hope in God. An imperative. A decision to believe in God in spite of circumstances. 

We all have to go through trials. God has a life jacket for you. He is with you at all times. 

Hope in God right now. Throw your anchor out to God. 

If you look at the world, you'll be distressed. If you look within, you'll be depressed. If you look at God you'll be at rest.
I will yet praise him. 
Are you discouraged. Have hope in God. Have faith in God. He will do what he promised to do. 

Let us pray. 

No comments:

Post a Comment