Sunday, December 21, 2014

The gift of carrying joy

Dave Ens www.EasTview.org
A simple gift. Enjoy. Revel in music and food. Be filled with love and wonder. Enjoy what God has given. Carry joy with you.

Psalm 16:1-11 NIV

Keep me safe, my God, for in you I take refuge. I say to the Lord , "You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing." I say of the holy people who are in the land, "They are the noble ones in whom is all my delight." Those who run after other gods will suffer more and more. I will not pour out libations of blood to such gods or take up their names on my lips. Lord , you alone are my portion and my cup; you make my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. I will praise the Lord , who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I keep my eyes always on the Lord . With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead, nor will you let your faithful one see decay. You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

Luke 2:8-20 NIV

And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."   Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,   "Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests."   When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let's go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about."   So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told.

They exuded joy when they got the good news of great joy. The shepherds help us understand joy.

The least often carry the most joy. They have nothing to lose.

King Herod was not happy. Responds with fear! With a new king born he responded with horrible cruelty.
If we want joy we need wonder and hope.
Adults tend to be sceptical and cautious and lose wonder and joy.
Faith in the resurrection God brings joy.
Paul and Silas are tortured in Acts 16. They were praying and singing praise to God when all the doors were opened and chains fell off.

Philippians 4:4-8 NIV

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.   Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Carry Joy with faith. Enjoy God's gifts.

Come thou fount of every blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment