Sunday, January 20, 2019

John sermon 3

Delbert Enns www.EasTview.org 
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.  By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."
John 13:34‭-‬35 ESV

Loving the enemy is difficult because we live in tension. 
Am I living for me or for God? 
200,000 people would gather in Jerusalem for a week each year. Remember there is only one God.
Jesus said destroy this temple and I will rebuild in 3 days. 
What does it take to live in the intersection between heaven and earth?
Greeks made gods to meet everyone's faith. Spirituality. Mystical god and churches we like. But not a demanding God. 
Following Jesus has nothing to do with spirituality. 

The woman at the well 

The woman said to him, "Sir, you have nothing to draw water with, and the well is deep. Where do you get that living water? 
John 4:11 

Jesus, full of grace and truth. Live counter cultural. 

Jesus turned and saw them following and said to them, "What are you seeking?" And they said to him, "Rabbi" (which means Teacher), "where are you staying?" He said to them, "Come and you will see." So they came and saw where he was staying, and they stayed with him that day, for it was about the tenth hour.
John 1:38‭-‬39 ESV

The way we live the Jesus way. Abide in him. 
Jesus answered him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God."  Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.  The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit."
John 3:3‭, ‬5‭-‬5‭, ‬8 ESV

This Jewish leader comes by night to ask questions of the good teacher. 

Thomas says are you the messiah? Come touch my wounds. 
Jesus will meet us in our brokenness. Christ in us. You can't understand this without being born again. 

We are called to live it out. I invite you Jesus to come into my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment